Thursday, February 10, 2011

In sight

Other images around my family I am staying with. Sister (Tiffany) came by to visit for a weekend and impressed everyone with her modest dressing and quick pick-up of hindi. I was more surprised by how well she mapped all the family members in her head as well as I had in 1 month.

I feel like where I live is an assembly of things stacked loosely and temporarily. Latrine I use (along with others) has stacked buckets always outside. Most common is stacks of brick and sand stacked on camels. Its a peri-urban area where many are immigrants from bihar and new quickly bricked homes go up everyday (5 right nearby since I've been here).

Tiffany insisting to wash her dishes after Sapna (her host) had served her really good food.

An aunt of the family making roti. Notice how they have the roti resting on the rock at the bottom to access the flames for final puff.

The mother of my family who sweeps the buffalo yard before collecting their poop to set out buffalo cakes to dry.

The Indian Mark pump - the community has these dotted enough as to never have too long of lines at any one. There is no piped water yet.

Showing off to me, she also showed me 4 different ways to fold roti to make parathas. Parathas don't puff so no rock next to flame. The combination of fuel is buffalo dung cake with a wooden log largely to provide a flame for the puff and air/mixing I think.

Santosh taking a bath. He likes particularly lathered baths daily and then dries off on the roof before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment